- The “International Students Admissions Scheme” is for non-local applicants who:
- require a student visa / entry permit to study in Hong Kong; or
- are holders of a visa / entry permit under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG); or
- are holders of a dependant visa / entry permit who were 18 years old or above when they were issued with such visa / entry permit by the Director of Immigration.
- Students from mainland China who are current Gaokao candidates (应届高考生) are not eligible to apply through this Scheme and their applications will not be accepted. They must apply through the National Colleges and Universities Enrolment System (全国普通高校统一招生计划) (For details, please refer to the recruitment section for Mainland China Students).
Applicants are required to meet (1) general requirements, (2) language requirements and (3) programme-specific requirements.
1. General Requirements
You are eligible to apply for admission if, by 1 September of the year in which admission is sought, you possess any of the following qualifications:
(a) GCE-AL / International-AL / IB / Other high school qualifications
- GCE-AL / International-AL: 3AL / 2AL+2AS in one sitting (All grades must be obtained from examinations taken within a twelve-month period.)
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma (for preferred subject requirements of the programmes, please click here)
- Other high school qualifications: A recognised non-local qualification which qualifies them for admission to a university in the country / region where such qualification is originated (e.g. high school diploma plus SAT / ACT and AP Tests / SAT Subject Tests (taken in June 2021 or before) in the USA, UEC / STPM in Malaysia, ATAR in Australia, OSSD / BC diploma in Canada, AISSCE (CBSE) / ISC in India, SMA in Indonesia, etc.)
- More information
(b) Post-secondary qualifications
- Completed at least one year of undergraduate study at a recognised university
- Completed at least one year of study leading to the qualification of associate degree / higher diploma or its equivalent
(c) Mature Applicants
- Mature persons aged 23 or above on 1 September in the year in which admission is sought, provided they are able to show either by publication or by other acceptable evidence that they have achieved sufficient competence in their chosen field of study to justify admission; or have shown exceptional ability in appropriate academic or professional fields.
(d) Exceptional Achievements
- Have other exceptional achievements which merit admission.
2. Language Requirements
Applicants should have attained an acceptable level of proficiency in the English language. Below are the minimum required scores or grades for some of the more common acceptable examinations. Applicants should have attained one of the following qualifications and the corresponding minimum attainments to be considered for admission to the University.
English Language Tests
- IELTS: 6.0
- TOEFL (iBT): 80
- SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing: 590
- ACT combined English / Writing or English Language Arts (ELA): 23
- GCSE / IGCSE / GCE-OL: C (For GCSE / IGCSE which uses the new 9-1 grading system, Grade 4 will be taken as equivalent to Grade C)
- GCE-AL / AS: E
- IB: 4
- HKDSE: Level 3
- Australian State or Territory High School Certificate Grade 12 English: 80%
- Canadian Grade 12 English: 70%
- Indian Central or State Board Exam Grade 12 English: 80%
- Malaysian SPM / UEC-Senior English Language: C / B4
- Singapore GCE A-Level H1 General Paper: C
- GSAT / AST English: Top 13% of the cohort
3. Programme-specific Requirements
In addition to satisfying the University requirements, applicants shall satisfy the additional requirements of the Programmes concerned. Please visit the List of Programmes for details.
Applicants will be considered on the basis of their education background, academic and non-academic achievements. If they are invited to attend an interview, their performance at the interview will also be taken into consideration.
Admission with Advanced Standing
Applicants who meet specific requirements as stipulated by the University for particular qualifications (including GCE-AL / International-AL, IB, Cambridge Pre-U, HKALE, associate degree / higher diploma) may apply for “Admission with Advanced Standing”. The minimum number of units for graduation for students admitted with Advanced Standing may be reduced by up to 24 units (normative period of study may be reduced by up to one year).
Applicants will be required to indicate in the application form whether they would like to be considered for "Admission with Advanced Standing".