- The “International Students Admissions Scheme” is for applicants who:
- require a student visa/ entry permit to study in Hong Kong; or
- are holders of a visa under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG); or
- are holders of a dependant visa for entry to Hong Kong, and are aged 18 or above before 1 September of the year in which admission is sought.#
(# The “non-local” or “local” status of students, once determined at the time of admission, will not change due to the change of age during the study period.)
- Mainland China students, who are current Gaokao candidates (应届高考生), are not eligible to apply through this Scheme and their applications will not be accepted. They must apply through the National Colleges and Universities Enrolment System (全国普通高校统一招生计划) (For details, please refer to the recruitment section for Mainland China Students).
- Candidates from Mainland China who will not take Gaokao in 2019 are eligible to apply through this Scheme if they are currently pursuing or have completed an overseas curriculum (e.g. GCE-AL/ International-AL, IB Diploma, high school diploma plus SAT and SAT Subject Tests/ AP tests in USA) leading to an overseas qualification which qualifies them for admission to a university in the country/region where such qualification is originated.
You are eligible to apply for admission if, by 1 September of the year in which admission is sought, you possess any of the following qualifications:
1. GCE-AL/International-AL/IB/Other high school qualifications
GCE-AL/International-AL: 3AL/ 2AL+2AS in one sitting (All grades must be obtained from examinations taken within a twelve-month period.)
International Baccalaureate Diploma (for preferred subject requirements of the programmes, please click here)
A recognised non-local qualification which qualifies them for admission to a university in the country/region where such qualification is originated (e.g. high school diploma plus SAT/ ACT and SAT Subject Tests/ AP Tests in USA, UEC/ STPM in Malaysia, ATAR in Australia, OSSD/ BC diploma in Canada, GSAT/AST in Taiwan (Faculty/ Programme Requirements), AISSCE (CBSE)/ ISC in India, SMA in Indonesia, etc.)
2. Post-secondary qualifications
Completed at least one year of undergraduate study at a recognised university
Completed at least one year of study leading to the qualification of associate degree/higher diploma or its equivalent
3. Mature Applicants
Mature persons aged 23 or above on 1 September in the year in which admission is sought, provided they are able to show either by publication or by other acceptable evidence that they have achieved sufficient competence in their chosen field of study to justify admission; or have shown exceptional ability in appropriate academic or professional fields.
4. Exceptional Achievements
Have other exceptional achievements which merit admission.
Applicants should have attained an acceptable level of proficiency in the English language. Below are the minimum required scores or grades for some of the more common acceptable examinations. Applicants should have attained one of the following qualifications and the corresponding minimum attainments to be considered for admission to the University.
English Language Tests
- IELTS: 6.0
- TOEFL (iBT): 80
- SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing: 590
- SAT Reasoning Test (Old): 8 in Essay
- ACT combined English/ Writing or English Language Arts (ELA): 23
- GCSE/ IGCSE/ GCE-OL: C (For GCSE/IGCSE which uses the new 9-1 grading system, Grade 4 will be taken as equivalent to Grade C)
- GCE-AL/ AS: E
- IB: 4
- HKDSE: Level 3
- HKALE/ HKCEE: E/Level 2
- Australian State or Territory High School Certificate Grade 12 English: 80%
- Canadian Grade 12 English: 70%
- Indian Central or State Board Exam Grade 12 English: 80%
- Malaysian SPM/ UEC-Senior English Language: C/ B4
- Singapore GCE A-Level H1 General Paper: C
- Taiwan GSAT (學測) / AST (指考) English: Top 13% of the cohort
In addition to satisfying the University requirements, applicants shall satisfy the additional requirements of the Programmes concerned. Please visit the List of Programmes for details.
Applicants will be considered on the basis of their education background and academic achievements. If they are invited to attend an interview, their performance at the interview will also be taken into consideration.
Admission with Advanced Standing
Applicants who meet specific requirements as stipulated by the University for particular qualifications (including GCE-AL/International-AL, IB, Cambridge Pre-U, HKALE, associate degree/higher diploma) may apply for “Admission with Advanced Standing”. The minimum number of units for graduation for students admitted with Advanced Standing may be reduced by up to 24 (normative period of study may be reduced by up to one year).
Applicants will be required to indicate in the application form whether they would like to be considered for "Admission with Advanced Standing".