Biomedical engineering is an interdisciplinary field dedicated to addressing biological and medical challenges for the benefit of humanity by applying engineering principles and techniques. The Biomedical Engineering (BME) programme is offered by the Faculty of Engineering with deep collaboration with the Faculty of Medicine.
Students in the BME programme receive training at the intersection of cutting-edge engineering and medical disciplines through core courses, while also having the flexibility to select from a diverse range of electives tailored to their specific career goals.
The field of BME is instrumental in creating innovative medical technologies, including MRI machines, brain-computer interfaces, cardiac pacemakers, orthopaedic implants, rehabilitative devices, medical robotics and minimally invasive endoscopes. Biomedical devices are now being designed at the micro- and nano-scale for diagnostic and therapeutic applications at the molecular and cellular levels. Students have the opportunity to engage with the extensive biomedical engineering research activities conducted at the University, thus broadening their expertise in this dynamic field.
The focus areas of the programme are: (1) Medical Instrumentation and Biosensors; (2) Biomedical Imaging, Informatics and Modelling; and (3) Molecular, Cell and Tissue Engineering.
#20 globally (#1 in Hong Kong)
(2023 Global Ranking of Academic Subjects – Biomedical Engineering)
Craft Your Path
- Explore the Fundamentals: Start by taking introductory courses in biology, physics, chemistry and mathematics. These foundational courses will provide you with a broad understanding of the scientific concepts and principles that underlie biomedical engineering.
- Specialize Your Knowledge: Choose from a variety of advanced elective courses to hone your expertise in specific areas of biomedical engineering. Among the four areas, deepening your knowledge in a specialty field will prepare you for more advanced study and research.
- Engage in Research: Participate in laboratory research or a project. This hands-on experience will allow you to apply the theoretical knowledge you acquire to solve real-world problems and work collaboratively with peers and faculty.
- Prepare for Your Career: Take advantage of our career-preparation resources, such as internship opportunities, career counselling and networking events. These experiences will help you explore various potential career paths, gain practical experience, and establish professional connections in the field of biomedical engineering.
Graduates of our Biomedical Engineering (BME) programme find diverse opportunities in diverse sectors, including hospitals, universities, government agencies, public organizations and various industries. The careers available to BME graduates span the entire value chain, encompassing research and development, manufacturing, quality assurance, consulting, distribution and sales, clinical engineering, regulatory affairs, and technology entrepreneurship. In addition to these career paths, BME graduates are well-prepared to pursue advanced studies in engineering and biomedical sciences. Some alumni have even embarked on careers in business, law and medicine, demonstrating the versatility and adaptability of their BME education. Our graduates are pursuing the following career paths:
- Clinical Engineers in Hospitals
- Entrepreneurs in Biotech Companies
- Regulatory Affairs
- Distribution and Sales
- Test Laboratories
- Research Scientists and Engineers
- Further Studies (MSc, PhD, MD, MBA, PCLL)
In the past three years, our alumni have showcased the programme’s influence, ensuring success in various fields:
- Approximately 26% entered the engineering or product-support field.
- About 9% work in medical sales or marketing.
- Another 25% are in the lab and research fields or related fields.
- Around 45% pursue specialized fields through advanced studies.
Employers include the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department of the HKSAR Government, the CUHK Medical Centre, Hong Kong Adventist Hospital, Gleneagles Hospital Hong Kong, Johnson & Johnson, Celki Vitalaire and Siemens.
[Figures as of November 2022]
We look for students who like science subjects, love to EXPLORE, INNOVATE and CARE, are passionate about learning in breadth as well as in depth, are ready to acquire new knowledge across disciplines, and are eager to apply their learning to solve real-world problems in the medical and healthcare industries.
If you are interested in this programme, please review the application requirements and deadlines specific to the respective admission scheme to increase your chances of getting accepted.