Explore the media world with our Journalism and Communication Programme
The programme aims to educate students to become communication professionals with a global perspective, who are rich in transferable skills and have analytical and innovative minds to express ideas though media and generate high-quality communication content. We seek to instil a strong sense of social consciousness and commitment to professional ethics, freedom of expression and social responsibility. Upholding our motto “inherit, inspire and innovate”, the programme invites students to dive into the media world and equips them with solid knowledge that inspires new perspectives.
The programme offers three main professional tracks: (1) Journalism, (2) Advertising and Public Relations, and (3) Creative and New Media. Based on their particular interests, students can specialise in one or two professional tracks, or select courses from different tracks.
The programme offers four practicum groups for students: U-Beat, Varsity, Pinpoint, and Creative Media Laboratory. Students can choose to participate in the writing, editing and production of one of the School’s two news practicum magazines: U-Beat, which is published in Chinese, or Varsity, which is published in English. Students can also acquire hands-on experience conducting social and commercial campaigns by working at Pinpoint. Those who join the Creative Media Laboratory gain knowledge and skills in audio and visual media production. In addition, the programme arranges summer internship placements for all students.
#20 in Communication and Media Studies (#1 in Hong Kong, #2 in Asia)
(QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023)
- Comprehensive theoretical foundation: Adopting a macroscopic vision by emphasizing the historical context of various developments in media theoretical frameworks.
- Knowledge of analytical research and analysis: Learning to analyse different media phenomena and content, and cultivating the ability to think and analyse independently and critically.
- Professional media training: Acquiring practical experience and professional knowledge in media production.
- Key industry insights: Course design based on emerging trends in the media industry.
Double Degree Option and Double Major Programmes
Apart from various minor programmes that the university offers, students in the programme can apply for the following double degree options or double major programmes to acquire inter-disciplinary knowledge, insights and techniques:
- Bachelor of Social Science in Journalism and Communication and Integrated Bachelor of Business Administration Double Degree Option
- Bachelor of Social Science in Journalism and Communication and Psychology Double Major Programme
- Bachelor of Social Science in Journalism and Communication and Sociology Double Major Programme
Our graduates are highly sought after by employers in the media, advertising, public relations, government, NGO, education and business sectors:
- Mass Communication/Public Relations: Approximately 50% enter the media industry as professional journalists, advertising and public relations practitioners, or video and film makers.
- Business sector: About 30% join the business field, exceling in management, administration, banking, accounting and IT.
- Social and public organisations: Another 10-15% join the government, NGOs, and public or social enterprises.
- Education: Some graduates aspire to teach the next generation with their advanced communication and language skills.
- Postgraduate Studies: Some graduates pursue specialized fields, such as communication studies, cultural studies, law and social work, through advanced studies.
Employers include Bloomberg, P&G, Saatchi and Saatchi, Edelman, Ogilvy, Bilibili, HSBC, MTR, ViuTV, South China Morning Post, Commercial Radio, Mingpao, the Legislative Council, the Equal Opportunities Commission and various departments in the HKSAR Government. Some graduates set up start-ups, focusing on digital marketing or PR services.
[Figures as of June 2022]
If you are interested in this programme, please review the application requirements and deadlines specific to the respective admission scheme to increase your chances of getting accepted.