Interested in Wealth? – Be an economist
History doesn’t lack episodes in which bank runs, irresponsible firms and wrong-headed policies wipe out people’s savings. It doesn’t matter how much money you make; if you put it in the wrong hands, it can be gone in an instant. An understanding of how the market works is the only way to avoid this.
Economics takes the subjects of money, interest rates, banks, firms and policy very seriously. Our programme makes you an economist who understands why sometimes firms, banks and even governments can behave in ways that put people’s wealth at risk.
Dealing with measurements and analysing data are the bread and butter of our field. With rigorous training on the applications of economic theories and statistical tools for analysing economic policies, our students develop their own unique economic and financial insights and feel comfortable navigating through the often confusing numbers and facts.
In 2022, the economics Nobel Prize was awarded to Ben Bernanke, Douglas Diamond and Philip H. Dybvig. Their studies on bank runs and monetary policies have a real impact on policies and regulations around the world. If you take the creation and preservation of wealth seriously, join us.
#59 in Economics and Econometrics in the world (#11 in Asia)
(QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023)
Craft Your Path
CUHK Economics is one of the oldest and most flexible economics programmes. We provide you with the maximum freedom to customize your own study path. You are free to spice it up with internships, exchanges and other non-economics courses. While we believe you are the one who can make the best decisions for yourself, our teachers and dedicated career advisor are always available to help you.
Cater for your own career aspirations with a maximum of two of the following five concentrations:
- Economic Theory – This is ideal for those who aspire to becoming academic economists
- Financial Economics – This is for those who would like to work in the finance industry, in organisations such as the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- Business Economics – This is for students interested in the use of economics in business decisions, who want to work in commercial banks, governmental agencies, business consultants, and so forth
- Chinese Economy – The Department boasts a unique team of researchers on the Chinese economy that is second to none in the world
- Data Analytics – This is for students interested in handling, modelling and analysing big data; they are sought after by big tech, including companies like Uber, Amazon and Microsoft.
Portable: Economics frees you from geographic boundaries. Like our graduates, you can pursue opportunities anywhere around the globe where your economic skills will pay off the most.
Skills: Our students’ understanding of markets, prices, competition and incentives, coupled with solid theoretical and quantitative skills, allow them to excel in numerous regulatory, business, finance and academic professions around the globe.
Throughout the years, our alumni have made their marks in various fields:
- Banking and Finance: About half join the banking and finance industry where they take up analytical and strategic roles, as well as roles on the regulatory side
- Education: About 10 per cent pursue careers as local HK secondary school teachers
- Postgraduate Studies: About 20 per cent pursue postgraduate studies and eventually become professional economists in academic or non-academic fields: with Hong Kong or foreign governmental agencies, international NGOs, and so forth
Employers include HK Monetary Authority, the HK Financial Secretary’s Office, HKEx, SFC, the HK Census and Statistics Department, Our Hong Kong Foundation, PwC, Goldman Sachs and Alibaba.
[Figures as of June 2022]
If you are interested in this programme, please review the application requirements and deadlines specific to the respective admission scheme to increase your chances of getting accepted.