More than Physical
Physical Education (PE), as the term implies, is ‘education through the physical’. It aims to develop students’ physical competence and knowledge of movement and safety, and their ability to use this to perform in a wide range of activities associated with the adoption of an active and healthy lifestyle.
The five-year programme is offered by the Department of Sports Science and Physical Education of the Faculty of Education. It has a compact structure, which requires students to complete courses in three closely linked areas:
- The Physical Education area, which provides a multi-disciplinary approach involving biological sciences, behavioural sciences and sports skills proficiency, providing students with a sound basis to develop health-related, high-quality physical education in the school setting;
- The Exercise Science area, which explores the complex nature of human movement and examines the manner in which the human body reacts to acute and chronic exercise; and
- The Health area, which examines the efficacy of physical activities, as well as theories and strategies for health promotion.
These are complemented by a fourth area, Professional Skills, for which courses are offered in team sports, individual sports, racquet sports, combat sports, and so on.
Physical Education develops not only the students’ physical side, but also their confidence and generic skills, especially those of collaboration, communication, creativity, critical thinking and aesthetic appreciation. These, together with the nurturing of positive values and attitudes, provide a good foundation for students’ lifelong and life-wide learning. PESH courses such as pedagogy, sociology and psychology related to sports and exercise, broaden students’ perspectives of physical education, far beyond just learning different sports skills. Students are also placed in primary and secondary schools for teaching practice and in sports-related organizations for internships.
The CUHK Faculty of Education is ranked 17th in the world and 3rd in Asia in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings (Education) 2023.
- Physical education teachers in primary and secondary schools
- Physical education instructors in tertiary institutions
- Administrators in government subvented / national sports associations
- Physical training officers, inspectors or officers in the disciplinary forces
- Executives in the fitness and leisure industries
- Supervisors / officers in the private and commercial sectors
- Further study in higher-degree programmes in sports science and physical education
If you are interested in this programme, please review the application requirements and deadlines specific to the respective admission scheme to increase your chances of getting accepted.