Starting from 2022, students can be directly admitted to the Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) through a “department-based” admission policy. Upon completing their first year of study, CSE students will be invited to declare their major in Computer Engineering (CENG) or Computer Science (CSCI). Students with outstanding HKDSE results and good academic performance in their first year of study are guaranteed their first choice of major.
While both CENG and CSCI are rigorously founded on problem solving by programming, data structure, and algorithm design, CENG distinguishes itself from other programmes by offering specialized training for students in areas such as mobile embedded systems, microprocessors, VLSI design, hardware-aided security, and supercomputing. On the other hand, CSCI focuses more on software innovation and aims to train students with a flexible curriculum that covers diverse and specialized areas.
(1) The CENG Programme
The CENG programme was formally established when the Faculty of Engineering was inaugurated in 1991, with an emphasis on both computer hardware and software.
The CENGN curriculum consists of courses in the following areas:
- Application: mobile embedded devices, computer graphics, multimedia processing;
- Computer hardware: circuitry theory, logic system design, computer architecture and interfacing, computer arithmetic;
- Computer software: programming, data structure, operating systems, algorithm, software engineering;
- Very large-scale integrated (VLSI) circuit design: Computer-aided design and applications;
- System connectivity: computer network; etc.
For more details, please visit https://www.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/admission/cengn/.
(2) The CSCI Programme
The CSCI programme, launched more than 40 years ago, is the first computer science programme in Hong Kong. It is accredited by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE) and has gained an international reputation for excellent research and teaching.
The CSCIN programme covers the following areas:
- Artificial Intelligence
- Big Data Analytics
- Computer and Network Security
- Computer Systems and Networking
- Computer-aided Design
- Digital Hardware Technologies
- Information Systems
- Multimedia Technology
- Programming Languages
- Software Engineering
- Theoretical Computer Science
For more details, please visit https://www.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/admission/cscin/.
Published: Summer 2021
Last Updated: Summer 2021