Non-JUPAS (Year 1 Admissions)
Local applicants who are not using the results of Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) for admissions purpose will be considered as Non-JUPAS applicants.
General Entrance Requirements (2018 Entry)
1. Holders of qualifications other than Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education
You are eligible to apply for admission, if by 1 September of the year in which admission is sought, you possess any of the following qualifications:
A) International qualification
- GCE-AL/International-AL: 3AL/ 2AL+2AS in one sitting (All grades must be obtained from examinations taken within a twelve-month period prior to 1 September of the year in which admission is sought.)
- International Baccalaureate Diploma (for preferred subject requirements of the programmes, please click here)
- A recognised non-local qualification which qualifies them for admission to a university in the country/region where such qualification is originated (e.g. high school diploma plus SAT/ ACT/ AP in USA, UEC/ STPM in Malaysia, ATAR in Australia, OSSD/ BC diploma in Canada, GSAT/AST in Taiwan, AISSCE (CBSE)/ ISC in India, SMA in Indonesia, etc.)
- More Information
B) Post-secondary qualifications
- Completed at least one year of undergraduate study at a recognised university
- Completed at least one year of study leading to the qualification of associate degree/higher diploma or its equivalent
- Applicants with local associate degree/higher diploma qualifications may apply for first year and/or senior year admission.
- i. HKCEE, grade E or above in at least seven subjects; and
- ii. HKALE, grade E or above in at least 2 AL and 2 AS subjects (one of the two AL subjects may be substituted by two additional AS subjects. AS subjects refer to all AS subjects under HKALE including Chinese Language & Culture and Use of English)
D) Mature Applicants
- Mature persons aged 23 or above on 1 September in the year in which admission is sought, provided they are able to show either by publication; or
- by other acceptable evidence that they have achieved sufficient competence in their chosen field of study to justify admission; or
- have shown exceptional ability in appropriate academic or professional fields
E) Exceptional Achievements
- Have other exceptional achievements which merit admission
2. Applicants currently undertaking undergraduate studies in UGC-funded institutions and seeking transfer admissions
According to the guidelines of the University Grants Committee (UGC), unless under exceptional circumstances, applicants who may have to repeat a year of study on transfer across institutions should generally be given a lower priority in admissions.
Applicants should have attained an acceptable level of proficiency in the English and Chinese languages. Below are the minimum required scores or grades for some of the more common acceptable examinations. Applicants should have attained one of the following qualifications and the corresponding minimum attainments to be considered for admission to the University.
English Language Tests
- IELTS: 6.0
- TOEFL (iBT): 80
- SAT Reasoning Test (Old): 8 in Essay
- SAT (New) Evidence-Based Reading and Writing: 590
- ACT combined English/ Writing or English Language Arts (ELA): 23
- GCSE/ IGCSE/ GCE-OL: C
- GCE-AL/ AS: E
- IB: 4
- HKDSE: Level 3
- HKALE/ HKCEE: E/ Level 2
- Australian State or Territory High School Certificate Grade 12 English: 80%
- Canadian Grade 12 English: 70%
- Indian Central or State Board Exam Grade 12 English: 80%
- Malaysian SPM/ UEC-Senior English Language: C/ B4
- Singapore GCE A-Level H1 General Paper: C
- Taiwan GSAT (學測) / AST (指考) English: Top 13% of the cohort
Chinese Language Tests
- HKDSE: Level 3
- HKALE: E
- HKCEE: E/ Level 2
- GCE-AL/AS: E
- GCSE/IGCSE/GCE-OL: C
- IB: 4
- AP: 3
Waiver of the Chinese language admission requirement may be granted, at the discretion of the Faculty Deans concerned, on the condition that the non-JUPAS applicant concerned should have pursued a curriculum leading to a recognised non-local qualification at secondary or above level prior to admission.
In addition to satisfying the University requirements, applicants shall satisfy the additional requirements of the Programmes concerned. Please visit the List of Programmes for details.
Applicants will be considered on the basis of their education background and academic achievements. If they are invited to attend an interview, their performance at the interview will also be taken into consideration.
Admission with Advanced Standing
Applicants who meet specific requirements as stipulated by the University for particular qualifications (including GCE-AL/International-AL, IB, Cambridge Pre-U, HKALE, associate degree/higher diploma) may apply for “Admission with Advanced Standing”. The minimum number of units for graduation for students admitted with Advanced Standing may be reduced by up to 24 (normative period of study may be reduced by up to one year).
Applicants will be required to indicate in the application form whether they would like to be considered for "Admission with Advanced Standing".